My mind is in the kitchen


My mind is in the kitchen.
Kneading bread dough on a floured table.
Tapping olive oil out of the bottle.
Prepping crisp salad greens.
Orchestrating dessert.
Midnight chocolate cake layered with silky ganache and romance.
Maybe with some raspberries on the side.
An after dinner mug of peppermint tea.

Breakfast:
A fluffy stack of pancakes topped with fresh whipped cream and September stewed apples. The whole house will smell like cinnamon and sweetness.

Lunch:
Butter sizzling in the cast iron pan.
Sharp white cheddar cheese sliced with summertime tomatoes.
They wait in the pan until the cheese is melted and the bread turns golden and crispy.
My mom's grilled cheese.

Dinner:
Shall we go to a restaurant?
Somewhere with linen tablecloths and wooden rounds instead of plates. Somewhere that serves iced lavender spritzers and boasts of local farms. Hopefully it's not too expensive or I'll feel cranky to be there. That's one of my problems, I hate spending money. But maybe the best meal of my life is waiting for me in the kitchen of a restaurant and I'll just have to spend the money to find out.